The McHenry County Division of Transportation identified the Randall Road Improvements as one of the key projects needed to relieve congestion in this heavily traveled north/south corridor of the County.  The intersection of Randall and Algonquin Roads is a central crossroads for motorists.  The existing road is congested, and traffic volumes are higher than the facility was designed to carry.  In addition, the existing road cannot accommodate the traffic to sustain the economic viability and regional mobility in the Algonquin/Crystal Lake/Lake in the Hills area.

Phase I: Planning was completed and approved by the Illinois Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration in 2013.  Phase I determined the types of changes needed to improve the approximately 3.5 miles between Ackman Road and County Line Road. During Phase 1, multiple options were studied for the corridor and four alternatives were considered for the Randall Rd./Algonquin Rd. intersection.  For additional information on Phase I Planning CLICK HERE.

Phase II: Design began in 2014 and provided the details needed to move forward and allow final construction drawings to be prepared.  One of the first tasks was to refine the design and configuration of the Randall Road/Algonquin Road intersection.  In September 2014, the County Board passed a Resolution adopting a conventional intersection design as the preferred alternative for the Randall Road at Algonquin Road Intersection for the Randall Road Project.  During 2016 and 2017, the County negotiated and acquired right-of-way.  The County has also been working with utility companies to relocate their facilities/lines prior to construction.  For additional information on Phase II Design CLICK HERE.

Phase III: Construction is expected to begin in late summer of 2018.  The limits of this project run from the intersection with Harnish Drive north to the Polaris Drive/Acorn Lane intersection.

The project will include:

  • Randall Road will be widened to provide three through lanes in each direction with up to four for the portion between Bunker Hill / Huntington Drive just up to Polaris Drive / Acorn Lane.  Dual left turn lanes and separate right turn lanes will be provided at all signalized intersections.
  • The cross streets at the signalized intersection will be widened as well to allow vehicles to enter Randall Road more efficiently.
  • Algonquin Road at Randall Road will have three left turn lanes, two through travel lanes, and right turn lanes on both legs of the intersection;
  • Pedestrian underpass will be constructed just between Harnish Drive and Bunker Hill / Huntington Drive.  A path will then be built linking the existing paths in the area as well as the new path along Randall Road;
  • Multi-use path (8 ft. wide) along the east side of Randall Road and the south side of Algonquin Road;
  • Sidewalk (5 ft. wide) along the west side of Randall Road and the north side of Algonquin Road;
  • New signal added (right only onto Randall Road from side street) at the Theatre/Costco (Commercial Drive) existing entrances;
  • New signal added (right only onto Randall Road from side street) at Randall and Stonegate Road intersection;

Construction will continue through 2018, 2019, 2020 and final completion items in 2021.


There are two general funding sources being utilized for this project. Federal Funds have been secured for 58% of the costs and County Funding will account for the remaining 42%. Plote Construction, Inc. of Hoffman Estates, IL recently submitted the low bid for the project construction at $45,891,418.73.

The County encourages you to continue to visit this project website, sign up to receive regular email updates, and visit the County’s Facebook page in order to stay informed.

* Schedule is subject to change.